Friday, June 5, 2009

The first 20 songs on a random playlist and my thoughts on each

1. Rolling Stones - Midnight Rambler: This is a live version that is almost 13 minutes long. It rules.
2. Ramones - I Don't Want to Live this Life (Anymore): A rarer song by the Ramones. It sounds like all other early Ramones songs, except slow.
3. The Get Up Kids - Ten Minutes: From their live album, and one of the better ones by them.
4. Minor Threat - Screaming at a Wall: Not a huge Minor Threat fan, but this is a decent song.
5. Franz Ferdinand - Bite Hard: Finally something new. Not one of the stronger tracks on their new album, though still good.
6. The Locust - Tower of Mammal: I've never listened to this song before. It's...abrasive. And fast. Not bad.
7. Rolling Stones - Shine a Light: Another live Stones cut, and another good one.
8. Zao - Free the Three: Not liking this. Gonna guess "the Three" means the Holy Trinity. Christian bands, amirite?
9. Head Wound City - Street College: Why didn't this group make more than one EP? This is awesome.
10. Head Automatica - Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Straight Edge (CHA Remix): A horrible remix by a horrible remix duo.
11. Brand New - Brothers: Great, great song. Very powerful lyrics.
12. Rolling Stones - Start Me Up: I'm starting to question the randomness of this playlist, though I do have a disproportionate amount of Stones in my collection.
13. Bleeding Through - French Inquisition: In retrospect, this band only wrote one good song. This isn't it.
14. The Killers - Losing Touch: My mom and brother love this band. I'm ambivalent, and not a fan of the horn on this song.
15. AFI - This Time Imperfect: Man, Sing the Sorrow was my jam in 2003. This song brings me back.
16. Maylene and the Sons of Disaster - Dry the River: This song is how modern Southern Rock should be played.
17. Ramones - We're a Happy Family: See above for thoughts on the Ramones.
18. These New Puritans - Numerology (aka Numbers): Inventive and catchy post-punk. Love it.
19. The Mars Volta - Ouroborous: This song is a lot better than I remember it being.
20. Jimmy Eat World - Work: This isn't Elvis Costello. I was sure we'd get one by him in 20 songs. Oh well, still a good song.

No comments: