- 1976-80: Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Ramones, the Clash and Elvis Costello all release their best material. Rolling Stones with a career renaissance. Both Joy Division albums. Talking Heads with Remain in Light.
- 1969-73: Rolling Stones at the height of their powers. Likewise for Led Zeppelin and the Who. Elton John releases all his good music. Lou Reed relevant.
- 1984-87: Tom Waits and Paul Westerberg of the Replacements peak as lyricists and release their best work. Prince does Purple Rain. ZZ Top becomes a commercial force, as do the Cure.
- 2001-2004: Garage rock and new wave revival as seen with the Strokes and Hives. Influential post-hardcore albums by Thursday and Taking Back Sunday released.
- 2009-present: The "Wave" bands resurrect '90s punk style and ethics. Strong revival of '50s and '60s style rock. Hip-hop becomes increasingly diverse.
Saturday, November 26, 2011
Posted by Jesus Marquez at 7:11 PM
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Thursday, November 17, 2011
Saturday, November 12, 2011
- That the Weeknd appeals to me at all
- More new Glassjaw material after nearly nine years of nothing
- Similarly, the first new Circle Takes the Square and Tom Waits material since 2004
- That Adele's 21 is both the best-selling album and one of the best albums of the year
- The groundswell of bands influenced by '50s and '60s rock and R 'n B (Dum Dum Girls, Wavves, Black Lips, Girls, etc.)
- Fiercely independent groups with strong aesthetic vision getting a lot of media attention (Odd Future, Trash Talk, WU LYF)
- The original lineup of Black Sabbath reuniting (I guess)
Posted by Jesus Marquez at 5:46 PM
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
- My insatiable appetite for mac 'n cheese
- What exactly dubstep is
- How the Niners are 7-1 with Alex Smith at QB
- What Mulholland Drive is about
- The career renaissance of Jennifer Lopez
- Why, if the economy is so awful, everyone in Iowa City drives brand new muscle cars
- If there is no sin in Heaven, but man was allowed to sin because God gave him free will, does that mean in Heaven free will doesn't exist?
Posted by Jesus Marquez at 9:41 PM
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
- The growth rate of fingernails (too fast!)
- When you have a really well worn-in pair of shoes, but then it rains, and your feet get soaked, and you know it's time to put the ol' Vans out to pasture
- Burning yourself on the oven
- Pins and needles
- People complaining about law school on Facebook
- Pizzas sliced into anything other than quarters (for 1-2 people)
- Running out of beer
- Ads on Youtube
- Having to hear about how bad the Lou Reed/Metallica album is all the time (yeah, no shit that's going to be bad, when was the last time those two produced anything good?)
- Not being able to grow a mustache
Posted by Jesus Marquez at 8:29 PM