- 1976-80: Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, Ramones, the Clash and Elvis Costello all release their best material. Rolling Stones with a career renaissance. Both Joy Division albums. Talking Heads with Remain in Light.
- 1969-73: Rolling Stones at the height of their powers. Likewise for Led Zeppelin and the Who. Elton John releases all his good music. Lou Reed relevant.
- 1984-87: Tom Waits and Paul Westerberg of the Replacements peak as lyricists and release their best work. Prince does Purple Rain. ZZ Top becomes a commercial force, as do the Cure.
- 2001-2004: Garage rock and new wave revival as seen with the Strokes and Hives. Influential post-hardcore albums by Thursday and Taking Back Sunday released.
- 2009-present: The "Wave" bands resurrect '90s punk style and ethics. Strong revival of '50s and '60s style rock. Hip-hop becomes increasingly diverse.
Saturday, November 26, 2011
Best eras for music
Posted by Jesus Marquez at 7:11 PM